ORACLE OPENWORLD, SAN FRANCISCO – Oct. 3, 2011
- Recognising the innovative solutions and business achievements of its customers, Oracle today announced the recipients of the inaugural Oil and Gas Industry Excellence Awards to be presented today at Oracle’s 5th Annual Oil and Gas Day at Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco.
- The awards acknowledged four oil and gas companies across the four main sectors of the industry: Exploration and Production (Chesapeake Energy Corp.); Oilfield Services and Drilling (Key Energy Services); Midstream - Pipeline (Enbridge); and Downstream (BP)
Exploration and Production – Chesapeake Energy Corp.
- Chesapeake Energy Corp. is the second-largest U.S. producer of natural gas, a top 15 producer of oil and natural gas liquids and the most active driller of new wells in the United States. Headquartered in Oklahoma City with more than 12,000 employees, the company's operations are focused on discovering and developing unconventional natural gas and oil fields onshore in the United States.
- Chesapeake has experienced significant growth fueled by its development of America’s best unconventional natural gas and liquids resources using industry-leading technological innovations. This success in its core business, coupled with its strategic decision to achieve vertical integration into midstream and oilfield service operations to control costs and enhance profitability, led to increased complexity and the need for scale. To meet these challenges, Chesapeake established internal best practices to streamline and simplify systems and processes encompassing its human resources, accounting and midstream business functions.
- Chesapeake has implemented Oracle’s PeopleSoft Human Capital Management, Oracle Business Intelligence and Oracle Hyperion solutions. Most recently its midstream companies have embarked on the implementation of Oracle’s PeopleSoft Financials and Oracle’s supply chain and manufacturing solutions to support this growing area of the business. As a result of these efforts, Chesapeake has gained a more scalable information system platform, reduced redundancy, exploited efficiencies and improved data quality.
Oil Field Services & Drilling – Key Energy Services
- Key Energy Services offers its clients a comprehensive and advanced array of onshore energy production services, including workover services, fluid and logistics services, fishing and rental services, and specialised drilling. Key employs approximately 9,900 people worldwide and is based in Houston, Texas.
- Like most companies in the industry, Key Energy Services was facing economic volatility including the sudden, sharp downturn in economic conditions in 2008 and 2009, followed by a strong rebound in natural gas and oil drilling activity in 2010 and 2011. Because of legacy applications and architecture, Key executives and regional district managers stood to benefit from improved efficiency and functionality of the tools used to access information on operational details.
- Key Energy Services implemented an Oracle Business Intelligence that allowed executives and managers to increase insight and be better able to manage business performance. This has improved managers’ ability to see trends, patterns, and leading and lagging indicator information. The result of this more timely data has been increased efficiency and improved customer service.
Midstream – Enbridge
- Enbridge is a North American leader in delivering energy and one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations. Enbridge is focused on three core businesses: crude oil and liquids pipelines, natural gas transportation and distribution, and renewable and alternative energy.
- Enbridge is in the process of transforming its order to cash process in the liquids pipelines division, including improvements to customer service, delivery on business flexibility, additional visibility into business processes through analytics, and further optimisation of operations through service and IT standardisation.
- Enbridge required a sustainable operating environment and selected Oracle’s pre-built SOA integration architecture. This scalable application grid infrastructure is being deployed for real time processing and integration that will allow for greater visibility into the Enbridge business, including real time dashboards for senior management and LOB personnel.
Downstream Solution – BP
- BP is a global oil and gas company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the third-largest energy company and fourth-largest company in the world measured by revenues. It is vertically-integrated and is active in every area of the oil and gas industry, including exploration and production, refining, distribution and marketing, petrochemicals, power generation and trading. BP Refining and Marketing (R&M) is responsible for all BP’s “downstream” customer-facing business including fuel and lubricants for airplanes, shipping and motor vehicles.
- The BP challenge was to differentiate itself from competitors by delivering a customer services experience that attracts, retains and grows more profitable relationships. To achieve this vision the customer service design (CSD) program transformed the BP customer management capability through process standardisation, IT modernisation and scale efficiencies.
- BP implemented Oracle’s Siebel CRM which has become the R&M “downstream” CRM enterprise solution of choice across a wide spectrum of R&M businesses and the majority of countries in which BP downstream operates. BP has significantly moved the dial in improving the customer experience in a number of business touch points (account managers, field sales) and business channels (email, fax, voice, Web), creating value-add services and insight-led offerings. Oracle’s Siebel solution for customer service and sales has given frontline staff access to customer, product and supply information, resulting in a culture of tele-sales and service excellence underpinned by accompanying service performance levels and operational management information.
- “BP’s IT organisation works collaboratively with the businesses we support to enable improved business performance and deliver value to our customers. Each of the awards received from Oracle clearly illustrate that strong partnerships are the key to success,” said Dana Deasey, chief information officer, BP.
- “All the winners showcased outstanding examples of innovation and technology achievement,” said Charles Karren, director, oil and gas industry strategy for Oracle. “Oracle is proud of its collaboration with oil and gas leaders, including our partners and leading oil and gas industry associations such as PPDM (Professional Petroleum Data Management Association) and Energistics to provide energy to the world in a cost-effective and safe manner.”
About Oracle Oil and Gas
- Over 200 E&P companies run Oracle
- Over 200 Downstream companies run Oracle
- Oracle is the first and only enterprise software company appointed by the Secretary of Energy to be a member of the National Petroleum Council
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE:ORCL), visit www.oracle.com
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
About Oracle OpenWorld
Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco is the most important educational and networking event of the year for Oracle technologists, customers, and partners. This information technology event is dedicated to helping businesses optimize existing systems and understand upcoming technology breakthroughs. The conference, which is expected to draw more than 60,000 attendees from over 145 countries, offers more than 2,500 educational sessions, 400 product demos, exhibitions from 500 partners and customers showcasing applications, middleware, database, server and storage systems, industries, management and infrastructure – all engineered for innovation. Oracle OpenWorld 2013 is being held September 22-26 at The Moscone Center in San Francisco. For more information, to register, or to watch Oracle OpenWorld keynotes, sessions and more live, please visit www.oracle.com/openworld. Join the Oracle OpenWorld discussion on Twitter, Facebook and the Oracle OpenWorld Blog.